Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fresh out of Drydock: 22nd Century Cardassian Freighter

Ah here's one I resurrected from the grave; a very old-school 22nd Century Cardassian freighter.

I built this puppy from scratch about 8 years ago from an assortment of leftover pieces and broken models. Design wise I wanted something that was a cross between the Merchantman styled vessels and the Sulaco from Aliens. The main hull panels are a chopped and rearranged AT-AT walker. Most of the front sensors are from a Nostromo kit, a Droid STAP, some more AT-AT and some Gundam Missiles. The engines and assorted piping is primarily from Anakin's Podracer kit with the remaining pieces coming from assorted Gundam models and a Klingon Bird of Prey.

I pulled him out of storage recently and decided to give him a new and improved paint job. Primarily brown and desert Sand with a simple masked panel pattern and a lot of dirty washes. I added hull damage from a PNT Models Battle Damage decal set. I also added Cardassian insignia from a PNT decal sheet.

Over all I'm very pleased with the new paint job. There were a lot of happy accidents during painting that normally would be an issue, but in this case worked out just fine. Such as all natural paint chipping, cracking, splotchy ink washes and hull distortion. I think in the circumstance it adds to the over all junker look I was going for with this freighter.










No comments:

Post a Comment